4 ways a tradesman can save time with automationKris Thain
For too long tradespeople – plumbers, electricians, mechanics, and handymen – have simply swamped themselves with work that they say they don’t have time for and then pay someone else more to do it for them.
Tradespeople have always had to be flexible, but the advent of new technologies has made it easier than ever to deliver high-quality services and keep up with demand.
In this article I’ll outline 4 ways that a tradesman can save time with automation, then go on to explain why you should consider automating your business in the same way.
So what is automation?
Don’t think of automation as a threat to your business. Rather, it’s a way for you to get more work done with the same or fewer people. It can also mean less work and more time for you to spend on the fun stuff in your life.
Automation is sometimes thought of as a means to cut costs, but that’s not how it works in the real world. In fact, using automation across your entire business can actually increase revenue by freeing up your time to take on new projects.
It’s the new way of doing business. Whether it’s a machine running a warehouse (think robots), or software replacing clerical, accounting and customer service tasks, automation lowers cost and increases throughput.
Using automation tools makes sense because software for bookkeeping, accounting and project management can help you make the most of your time.
In fact, using automation can help you create a competitive advantage over other businesses in the same industry – even those who don’t use automation tools.
Automation will save you time and money
It’s easy to get caught up in the admin and financial side of your business when you’re busy working on jobs. But it’s the time-consuming admin tasks that are holding many tradespeople back from achieving more.
This is why there’s never been a better time to get more done with automation. Automation helps tradespeople manage their admin without needing to leave the job site, freeing them to focus on getting more value for the money they spend.That means the number of hours you spend on admin tasks can be reduced, freeing up valuable time for your trade.
4 ways to save time with automation
Automation can help, for example:-
- Managing enquiries in bulk – whether you’re an electrician, plumber or builder dealing with multiple enquiries at once, or a painter dealing with lots of quotes or estimates, it’s easy to miss important messages in your inbox when there are so many others coming in. But with automated responses to common enquiry types, you can quickly tailor your response and deal with the most important requests first.
- Keeping your records up to date. A clean, up-to-date record is a much better way to manage your business than relying on memory alone. It’ll also make it easier for inspectors and other third parties to understand any problems you have.
- Working with subcontractors. By working with subcontractors instead of doing every job yourself, you can free up time to focus on the big picture – marketing and sales, for example.
- Automating your admin tasks. There are software solutions that can improve the efficiency of many of the mundane admin tasks that go with running a small business, including scheduling appointments and invoicing for tradespeople.
In summary as a trades person you have a lot to manage…
Not only do you juggle multiple projects and tasks at once, but you also have to stay on top of materials, suppliers, finances, and customers.
The most successful tradespeople know that time is their most valuable asset, so it’s worthwhile making sure you’re using your time efficiently.
One thing that holds many tradespeople back is a lack of automation. Creating a system that allows them to spend less time on admin, more time on working, can be a real game-changer for your businesses.
Automating tasks can also transform your business – helping you to increase sales and profits, while freeing up more time for the things that really matter.
If you’re ready to change the way you work, are swamped with admin, working evenings and weekends and want a system in your business that manages everything from the point of enquiry right through to invoices being generated, quotes, materials used etc, contact us for a free no obligation chat to see how we can transform your business using automation
Ready to work with us?
1. Join our Facebook group NocodeVA where we share in-depth content and trainings on automation and the latest no-code tools
2. Book a Power Hour where we will hang out on Zoom, share screens, focus on your automation plan, problem solve any tech issues you have, map your workflows out or just brush up on your automation skills. The choice of what you spend the hour on is yours
3. Sign up for interactive Zapier or Airtable training. The training will help you to run your business better and faster.
4. Work with us on a 1:1 basis to create bespoke business automations specific to your workflows. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org